Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Bats set listies: 111112

Let me wax poetic for just one second.

I'm the youngest child in my (very diverse) family.  My two oldest brothers are actually a couple decades older than myself; this has been a blessing, musically, because they introduced me to a thoroughly awesome, exponential variety right from the start.

My elder brother would listen to New Order and Joy Division while rocking me to sleep.  This can explain a number of things about my personality.

Anyway, they were lucky enough to grow up in Southern California in the early 80s, when Oingo Boingo were really getting going and would play frequent shows at The Roxy in L.A.

At some point, one of them got this shirt at one of their concerts:


As a little girl, they passed it onto me, and it became my favorite PJ top.

And as that same little girl, my favorite films were all Tim Burton: Batman, Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Nightmare Before Christmas.

And as a teenager, I finally got around to listening to the group of the favorite childhood PJ top, and I Got It.  I understood why the older bros would always want to see them.  That voice.  The arrangements.

So I guess you can say, I've had an affinity for Mr. Elfman all my life.

So it was rad to spin some Oingo Boingo this past Sunday, much to the delight of a very receptive (and varied!) crowd.

.

I

White Room

#1 Crush - Garbage
Policy of Truth (Extended Mix) - Depeche Mode
Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division
Psycho Killer - Talking Heads
Smash It Up (Part 2) - The Damned
Romeo’s Distress - Christian Death
Sex Beat – Sex Beat
Dead Man’s Party  - Oingo Boingo

II

Black Room

The Unknown - Terrorfakt
Spill - Demodulate
Hit Me Hard - Noisuf-x
Without Emotions - Combichrist
Rituals (iVardensphere Mix) - God Module
The Siren - Aesthetic Perfection
Sleep Now (Angelspit Mix) - Angelspit

.

Oh...and I don't know what happened to that shirt.

So this waxing poetic is ended on a bittersweet note.

(How very Burtonesque)

- Em

No comments: